The Digital Ricoeur website (hereafter “Digital Ricoeur” or “the site”) contains copyrighted material, including texts written by Ricoeur, texts written by other authors about Ricoeur’s work, bibliographies on Ricoeur and on the secondary literature about Ricoeur, and software that supports the site.
Copyright grants an author certain exclusive legal rights over a work of authorship, including rights to copy, sell, perform, display, or make derivative versions, such as abridgements or translations. Digital Ricoeur employs various technological measures to protect Ricoeur’s and other authors’ copyright. For example, Digital Ricoeur restricts searches of copyrighted material to reveal limited amounts of text (“snippets”). The access to these snippets is a “fair use” exception to copyright protection that furthers the growth of knowledge.
By registering to use Digital Ricoeur, you, the user, are agreeing not to disclose or otherwise infringe upon the copyrighted material on the site. Exceptions will be noted below.
- Prohibition Against Abuse of Copyright and Database Rights: You will not circumvent technological measures that restrict access to material protected by copyright or by database rights, including original texts, software, or databases. You will not misappropriate, whether by extracting, re-utilizing, corrupting, or otherwise infringing upon, material on the site protected by copyright or by database rights.
- Exclusions: It is not a violation of the Prohibition Against Abuse of Copyright for you to use material on the site protected by copyright or by database rights either
- in fair use, fair dealing, or any other exception or limitation to copyright and database rights that applies to your use of the protected material, or
- for which a license has been granted for your use or for broader public use.
- Obligations of You, as Site User: As defined in this Agreement, you shall maintain and not infringe upon the copyright of any copyrighted material on the site. You shall also ensure that anyone using the site under your direction, e.g., a colleague or research assistant, shall also not infringe upon the copyright of any copyrighted material on the site. It is also a violation of your obligation as site user to permit, entice, or induce any other person or entity to infringe upon the copyright of any copyrighted material on the site.
- Remedies: For violation of this Agreement, Digital Ricoeur reserves the right to pursue remedies to redress the violation, including permanent termination of privileges to access the site and other remedies that may be available under the law.
- Time Period: The obligations imposed under this Agreement shall survive the Agreement’s termination and shall remain in effect until any copyrighted material on the site no longer qualifies as copyrighted or a license is granted to use the copyrighted material. User rescission of site registration does not end responsibilities under this Agreement.
- Relationships: Nothing contained in this Agreement shall be deemed to constitute your status in relationship to the site as anything other than a user.
- Severability: If a court finds any provision of this Agreement invalid or unenforceable, the remainder of this Agreement shall be interpreted so as to best effectuate the intent of the parties.
- Integration: This Agreement expresses the complete understanding of the parties with respect to the subject matter and supersedes all prior proposals, agreements, representations, and understandings. This Agreement may not be amended except in writing presented on this site.
- Waiver: The failure to exercise any right provided in this Agreement shall not be a waiver of prior or subsequent rights.
This Agreement and each party’s obligations shall be binding on the representatives, assigns, and successors of such party.